FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I Unblock My Drain Myself?
Yes, you may be able to use shop-bought drain unblockers or a drain rod and plunger to clear minor blockages from sinks or toilets. Always follow manufacturer’s instructions. However, an experienced drain expert may be needed for more complicated blockages or major issues deep within the wider drainage system.
How Do I know If My Drain Is Blocked?
The common signs of a blocked drain include:
- Gurgling noises coming from the plumbing system
- Unpleasant odours coming from drain outlets and sinks
- Incorrect water levels in your toilet
- Toilet bowl over-filling when flushed
- Excrement failing to flush away
- Slow flow when emptying baths or sinks
I Work All Day, Can You Come in the Evening?
Yes, we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, give us a call and we will schedule an appointment that works around your timetable.
What is Drain Jetting?
Drain jetting is the process of feeding a hose into the drainage system and blasting a high-pressure jet of water to cut through dirt and fatty deposits, scraping them from the drain wall. Different nozzles allow us to clean drains of any diameter, furthermore, it is quick, efficient and hassle-free.
What is a CCTV Drain Survey For?
CCTV drain surveys analyse the condition of drainage and sewer systems, identifying areas that are weak or damaged and areas that may become an issue in the future. It is helpful for homebuyers to know the condition of drains ahead of purchase. Furthermore, sellers can take care of any issues in order to boost the value of their property. Additionally, it can be used to investigate blockages, damages or rodent infestations without the need to excavate.
Can I Pour Fat Down The Drain?
No, the fat solidifies further down the system and can cause fatbergs. This will block your pipework and is notoriously difficult to remove without expert assistance. Fats from cooking meat should be decanted into a container and left to cool. The solidified fat can then be disposed of in the bin and residual fats can be wiped with kitchen paper and disposed of before washing. For industrial oil disposal, contact a specialist, who will collect waste oil and dispose of it professionally.
Can I Dispose of Sanitary Products Down the Toilet
No. Wet wipes, nappies, sanitary pads, earbuds and cotton wool do not decompose and are highly likely to cause obstructions and damage over time. Furthermore, blockages of this nature are hard to remove and will probably require expert assistance. Dispose of sanitary items in the bin.
What Causes Drains to Block?
Drains can become blocked for a variety of reasons, including:
- Incorrect disposal of fat and oil – causing fatbergs
- Build up of incorrectly disposed of sanitary items
- Hair, soaps, salts and detergents in bathrooms
- Toys or other household items flushed down toilets
- Roots, debris or rodent infestations
- Damaged or collapsed pipes causing obstruction
When Should I Call A Professional?
Call Newbury Drainage for expert assistance if:
- There is a blockage that you have not been able to remove yourself
- You suspect there is damage to pipework or sewer systems
- There are signs of damp to floors and walls indicating major damage
- You have a flood or require emergency assistance
- You are in need of CCTV drain surveys before buying or selling a property